Cats Protection (CP) is the UK’s leading feline welfare charity, helping around 200,000 cats and kittens every year. As a charity that receives no government funding, we rely entirely on the kindness and generosity of our valued supporters. We are completely committed to protecting our supporters’ personal information, as well as being open and honest about how we collect, store and use the information we receive.
This policy explains how we collect and use your information.
When you provide us with your personal information you are agreeing to this policy and consenting to our collection and use of that information as set out in this policy.
We may be required to update this policy at any time without notice to you, so please check it regularly.
If you have any queries about this policy please contact the Information Governance Officer, Cats Protection, National Cat Centre, Chelwood Gate, Haywards Heath, Sussex, RH17 7TT or email email@example.com
How do we collect information?
We may obtain personal information from you when you ask about our activities, register with us, send or receive an email, buy our goods online, make a donation or otherwise provide us with personal information. All information collected is processed in accordance with our legal requirements and the Data Protection Act 1998.
What information do we collect?
The information we collect depends upon your reason for visiting our website or one of our centres, branches or shops, but may include your full name, date of birth, email address, postal address, telephone number, fax number, credit/debit card information or bank account details if setting up a Direct Debit mandate.
Why do we collect your information?
We collect the information you provide to:
- respond to your requests – such as donations, Gift Aid, membership, purchases and any information regarding CP that you have made enquiries about
- manage your purchase orders, delivery of products and communicate with you about those orders
- record any contact we have with you
- keep you up-to-date on CP’s news such as fundraising campaigns, challenges, achievements etc, but only if we have previously received your consent to do so
- prevent or detect fraud or abuses of our website and to enable third parties to carry out technical, logistical or other legitimate functions on our behalf
- conduct research on the demographics, interests and behaviour of our supporters to enable a better understanding of your requirements so that CP can identify areas for improvement in providing our services. If this research is conducted by a third party CP will ensure that all personal information will be processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998
CP will never swap or sell your details. When dealing with your personal information we will always comply with the Data Protection Act 1998 and any other applicable legislation.
We will only use your personal information for direct marketing purposes if we are permitted to do so by law or if we have your consent. You can change your mind at any time by writing to the Supporter Services Department, Cats Protection, National Cat Centre, Chelwood Gate, Haywards Heath, Sussex, RH17 7TT or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Do we use 'cookies'?
How do we protect personal information?
We take the security of your information very seriously and have put appropriate measures in place to minimise the risk to your information from loss, theft or misuse. These include:
- use of secure server (encrypted) to protect your transaction details when making a donation or purchase via our website
- restricted access control, including use of complex passwords, to your information stored on our systems
- taking measures to ensure the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and kept only for as long as is necessary for the purposes to which you have given consent
- contractual agreements between working partners (eg banks for payment transactions) that require compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and all applicable legislation
Links to third party websites
Social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn etc)
Do we share your information?
There are some circumstances where we may need to. For instance:
- if we are legally required to do so, eg court order, law enforcement agency pursuing an investigation
- if we believe it necessary to protect or defend our rights, property or the personal safety of our personnel or visitors to our premises or website
- when we work with carefully selected partners for either research or analysis and processing card payments eg Barclays, Lloyds etc. These partners will only have access to your information when the necessary contractual arrangements have been agreed and signed
- information has to be sent to HMRC as part of the declaration process for Gift Aid so that we can reclaim the Gift Aid on your donation(s)
Right of access
You have the right to ask for a copy of the information we hold about you and to have any inaccuracies in your information corrected.
Anyone wishing to make a Subject Access Request should apply in writing to the Head of Legal Services. CP reserves the right to charge a fee for providing the requested information (no more than the maximum amount for the time being – currently £10.00). CP aims to respond to all requests within 40 days of receipt of a Subject Access Request.
If your personal details change, please help us to keep your information up-to-date by notifying us.
If at any time you’d like us to change the way we contact you, or if you would like to opt out of our communications altogether please contact a member of our Supporter Services team to action your request by:
- Freephone – 0800 917 2287
- email – Supporter.Services@cats.org.uk
- write to – Freepost RTJK-TJKK-GREZ, Cats Protection, National Cat Centre, Chelwood Gate, Haywards Heath, Sussex, RH17 7TT
We will only email or text you if we have your consent to do so, but if you receive anything you would rather not, please let us know. We include an unsubscribe option within every email/text message we send so you are always in control of what you receive.
There are also details of how to opt out of mailings in every pack sent in the post. If you receive a mailing you do not want please let us know so we can update your communication preferences. This will help us to ensure we only ever send you materials that you would like to receive.
All photography on this site is reproduced with kind permission of the photographers concerned.
All information published on this site is provided to the best of our knowledge. However, while Cats Protection is happy to supply any assistance and guidance regarding feline welfare to Cats Protection supporters and members of the public, it must be appreciated that such guidance is based only on information supplied to Cats Protection and Cats Protection will not be liable for injury, loss or damage arising from such guidance supplied. You may print any newsletter or factsheet on this site for your own information but you may not sell it, reproduce it on the internet, distribute it, alter it, or reprint it in any publication without permission from the Communications team, Cats Protection, National Cat Centre, Chelwood Gate, Haywards Heath, Sussex, RH17 7TT or email email@example.com
If you have a complaint about Cats Protection or any of our policies or procedures please visit the Contact Us page – click here.
This policy was last updated on 24 February 2017.